Pat Fiorello - Art Elevates Life

Art & Inspiration from professional artist and instructor Pat Fiorello. Pat is known for her romantic landscape, garden and floral paintings in oil and watercolor. Her paintings often depict beautiful places like Italy and France. Pat teaches painting workshops in the U.S., Caribbean and Europe. She is passionate about inspiring others to include art in their life. Whether creating it or simply appreciating and enjoying it, there are so many ways that art elevates life!

Monday, July 1, 2013

Hearst Castle Study

Hearst Study
8 x 10 Oil Painting
SOLD



 This painting  taught me a lesson on "starting over."

I came home from some long trips and was anxious to get back to the studio to paint and also to apply what I had learned while studying in France with master Russian Impressionist Ovanes Berberian while things were still somewhat fresh in my mind. I did a couple of small "warm-up" paintings and then without any planning, jumped into a much larger, complex painting and got completely lost. I put it away for a day, painted something else, went back to it and was ready to give up on it out of frustration and not knowing where to go next.  There were so many areas that needed to be adjusted it felt overwhelming. Where do I begin?

 Instead, of giving up though, I thought maybe I need to take a step back. So I put  the large one aside and decided to do the same thing on a smaller scale. 

This is the  smaller 8 x 10 study which helped me find my way. It's called Hearst Study. It was inspired by a window I saw while visiting the beautiful Hearst Castle in California a couple of weeks ago.

So that's was the lesson from this painting, sometimes when you are lost (in painting or in life), it pays to start over to calmly find your way back home.

1 comment:

  1. That is so weird that I found your painting and your comment. I too am overwhelmed by a painting I'm doing of a picture I took at Hearst Castle and am ready to junk it, but can't because I've spent so much time on it. I loved your painting and got inspired again with what you just wrote. Thanks for posting.

    ReplyDelete