Pat Fiorello - Art Elevates Life

Art & Inspiration from professional artist and instructor Pat Fiorello. Pat is known for her romantic landscape, garden and floral paintings in oil and watercolor. Her paintings often depict beautiful places like Italy and France. Pat teaches painting workshops in the U.S., Caribbean and Europe. She is passionate about inspiring others to include art in their life. Whether creating it or simply appreciating and enjoying it, there are so many ways that art elevates life!

Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Getting Started

Yesterday I taught my "Art for Non- Artists" Workshop. It's a one day workshop I developed and have been teaching for over 12 years. It's designed to help people who are interested in art, but feel they are not artistic, to get started exploring art. In just one day they learn basic techniques and then how to apply those techniques to a painting start to finish. Over the years I have had hundreds of people get their start in art this way and continue on to include more art in their lives.



Picasso said " Every child is an artist, the secret is to remain one when you're an adult". 

And it's true, Studies have been done showing that when school children have been asked "who is an artist", the kindergarteners and first graders almost all raised their hands. As they got to 2nd, 3rd, 4th grade, fewer and fewer kids raised their hand to that question. And then by the time they got to high school, typically only one or 2  students raised their hand. Betty Edwards, author of the well respected book, "Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain", concurs. When children are young, they draw and paint naturally. They are free and in the moment playing with art. But as they develop, judgement sets in. At some point they conclude they are not naturally artistic ( or they don't make art it as well as their sister, brother, classmate, it's not how it should look vs some standard ......) and they go on to other interests, so they don't continue their development.
Judgment can keep us from learning and growing.

I was one of those kids who gave up on art in the 3rd grade after a bad experience in class. I got reintroduced to art at age 35 ( although  my skills were still where I left off in grade school- they did not magically improve without further education and practice) . I have since learned everything that I know about art as an adult.

That reconnection with art has totally altered my life. It had now become my career, life and passion and I am grateful that I got back to art. It has also altered the way I view and appreciate the world. Through art you see life with new eyes. It has added tremendous richness and pleasure, enhancing the quality of my life.

If you would like to have more art in your life, but believe you are not "artistic", suspend the judgment and take a class- just for fun. By giving up the notion that you can't, you might just be opening the door to Yes I can!

I even had one student who came to learn how to paint at age 93! The good new is it's never too late.

Henry Ford once said "If you think you can or you think you can't , you're right". That applies to many areas of life including your own opinions about your ability to create.

So stretch out of your comfort zone and open yourself up to the opportunities that art can add to your life!

No comments:

Post a Comment