Pat Fiorello - Art Elevates Life

Art & Inspiration from professional artist and instructor Pat Fiorello. Pat is known for her romantic landscape, garden and floral paintings in oil and watercolor. Her paintings often depict beautiful places like Italy and France. Pat teaches painting workshops in the U.S., Caribbean and Europe. She is passionate about inspiring others to include art in their life. Whether creating it or simply appreciating and enjoying it, there are so many ways that art elevates life!

Sunday, June 28, 2015

Rose Arbor

Rose Arbor
12 x 16 Oil Painting
by Pat Fiorello
$650
 
Created a larger painting of the same scene from  Monet's Garden shared the other day. I actually did this one before I did the small study ( which has already sold), but painted this using a totally different approach. I had a canvas which I had started a different painting on months ago. It had some dark shapes for glass bottles laid in but I never got around to finishing that scene and kind of lost interest in it, but had the underpainting on this canvas hanging around the studio, reminding me to complete it.

 Rather than paint something I was no longer excited about, I  decided to let go of that earlier direction and I repurposed the underpainting for something I was excited to paint. I went very dark with the underpainting for this and then pulled this sunlit garden scene out of the darks.

Below is a close up of some of the brushwork on the arbor roses.



The lesson in this, better to paint what you are excited about than to complete something I started that my heart was no longer in. I am happy with how this painting turned out and relieved to be free of that unfinished canvas that I was making myself feel guilty about.
 
Unlikely that anything special or beautiful would come out of "should", but the odds are much better with what if.... or I can't wait to....   If you're not feeling a connection with your inspiration, it's time to move on.

No comments:

Post a Comment