Pat Fiorello - Art Elevates Life

Art & Inspiration from professional artist and instructor Pat Fiorello. Pat is known for her romantic landscape, garden and floral paintings in oil and watercolor. Her paintings often depict beautiful places like Italy and France. Pat teaches painting workshops in the U.S., Caribbean and Europe. She is passionate about inspiring others to include art in their life. Whether creating it or simply appreciating and enjoying it, there are so many ways that art elevates life!

Saturday, August 15, 2015

"He loves me..."



"He loves me..."
8 x 10 Oil Painting
 by Pat Fiorello
$300




Had taken some photo's of white daisies under some dramatic lighting at last week's watercolor workshop and never got to paint them. So decided to give them a try in oils the other day.
Below is a progression to share how things unfolded. I took a different approach than the way I most often paint flowers, but I have several different ways I've been playing with recently and all seem to get to pretty much the same place.
Started with a toned canvas and lightly sketched in approximate shapes and placement, leaving the flexibility to make marks with my brush and not be too committed to a specific drawing.

Painted in shadows and dark centers and leaf

Added background

Began building up the lighter petals

Continue to refine shapes

Decided to add suggestion of another flower behind to connect the lights in the composition a bit more

If you'd like to learn more about how to paint flowers in oil, I'm teaching a 3 day workshop in the Atlanta area September15-17 at the Spruill Center for the Arts. Details can be found by clicking here.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for posting the steps, very helpful. Beautiful work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your comment. Appreciate your feedback. I have a few more examples of step by step progressions on youtube- some different approaches. I don't always use the same process.

      Delete