Pat Fiorello - Art Elevates Life

Art & Inspiration from professional artist and instructor Pat Fiorello. Pat is known for her romantic landscape, garden and floral paintings in oil and watercolor. Her paintings often depict beautiful places like Italy and France. Pat teaches painting workshops in the U.S., Caribbean and Europe. She is passionate about inspiring others to include art in their life. Whether creating it or simply appreciating and enjoying it, there are so many ways that art elevates life!

Friday, May 18, 2012

Peony Dreams


Peony Dreams
12 x 16 Oil Painitng
by Pat Fiorello
$600

After a struggle with peonies in a disappointing painting a couple of weeks back I had all but sworn off ever trying to paint another peony. Of course, that week in my oil painting class the instructor had set up- what else- peonies. So I decided to face my fear and give them another try.

 Below is a photo of the set up. I changed things up a bit to eliminate some of the leaves on the left in favor of repeating the light green hydrangeas and made a few other minor changes. I'm glad I didn't give up on the peonies as I did learn something and don't feel like I have to avoid them in the future.

 A big lesson learned is to make flowers life size or smaller. The peonies I didn't like were on a larger canvas and lost something in the translation once they were larger than life size( I called them the "Peonies that ate Cincinnati").











2 comments:

  1. This is wonderful and totally agree. I think most flower paintings need to be life size or smaller to "read" right...Love peonies and hydrangeas- it is worth the battle to learn how to paint them! Great decisions on this one and you made it beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Kathy, always appreciate your supportive feedback.

    ReplyDelete