Pat Fiorello - Art Elevates Life

Art & Inspiration from professional artist and instructor Pat Fiorello. Pat is known for her romantic landscape, garden and floral paintings in oil and watercolor. Her paintings often depict beautiful places like Italy and France. Pat teaches painting workshops in the U.S., Caribbean and Europe. She is passionate about inspiring others to include art in their life. Whether creating it or simply appreciating and enjoying it, there are so many ways that art elevates life!

Monday, September 30, 2019

Garden Fantasy

Garden Fantasy
9 x 12 Oil Painting
by Pat Fiorello
 $425
Mostly I paint from still life set ups, on location or even photo's or a group of photos, but occasionally I just like to make something up from my imagination.

After 25 years or painting, there are certain subjects I've painted over and over- flowers, urns, landscapes, so I feel fairly comfortable bringing that experience to create not what I see but what I would like to see.

I started with a rough idea of a composition in pencil, very loosely sketched, then brought that to a value sketch.  I started by massing in the urn shape and then just built the bouquet inside as I would create an actual physical floral arrangement, placing some of the star flowers (the big garden roses), then adding line flowers and vines for movement and some more delicate shapes contrasting the larger solid flowers. As I moved along, I decided it would be an outdoor scene so added some darks to suggest foliage in the background, but also added a strip of lighter green as sunlit grass to suggest a plane change to the flat ground behind the urn.   That wasn't in the original plan but felt right at the time so I went with it. The plan is just a starting point and can be changed at any point if a better idea comes along.

The result was Garden Fantasy shown above.


No comments:

Post a Comment