Pat Fiorello - Art Elevates Life

Art & Inspiration from professional artist and instructor Pat Fiorello. Pat is known for her romantic landscape, garden and floral paintings in oil and watercolor. Her paintings often depict beautiful places like Italy and France. Pat teaches painting workshops in the U.S., Caribbean and Europe. She is passionate about inspiring others to include art in their life. Whether creating it or simply appreciating and enjoying it, there are so many ways that art elevates life!

Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Painting Challenge - 50 Flowers

Inspired by my recent flower design workshop (see previous post on 6/25), I have decided to take on a painting challenge to focus my learning over the next 3 months. I committed to doing a series of 50 painting studies of flowers between now and the end of September. I'm calling this challenge "The Art of Learning".  I have found before that an intensive focus on a particular subject can really accelerate the learning curve and creating a game keeps it fun. I'll be sharing my learnings along the way, so if you'd like to see how things unfold, feel free to "follow" this blog or sign up for an automatic email sending you new posts as they occur (ways to sign up for either options are on the right of this blog).


Study 1 Peach Roses
Oil Painting by Pat Fiorello
8 x 10
$200







Above is the first of the challenges using a few of the roses which were still in good shape from Saturday's class. I laid them on a table in my easel under a light for a simple set up. I will try to paint from life as much as possible, but might use some photo's along the way too. The unusual peachy color was more challenging than expected. I changed the background several times, (see photo and earlier versions below)  but found a more neutral background definitely helped the roses appear more colorful. The brighter green option competed and left the flowers looking duller. 1 down, 49 to go!





1 comment:

  1. I love not only seeing the painting but also the original subjects and the preliminary paintings that didn't quite make it. I would have admired and been satisfied with the green background, but appreciated your professional explanation as to why you considered it inferior.

    ReplyDelete