Pat Fiorello - Art Elevates Life

Art & Inspiration from professional artist and instructor Pat Fiorello. Pat is known for her romantic landscape, garden and floral paintings in oil and watercolor. Her paintings often depict beautiful places like Italy and France. Pat teaches painting workshops in the U.S., Caribbean and Europe. She is passionate about inspiring others to include art in their life. Whether creating it or simply appreciating and enjoying it, there are so many ways that art elevates life!

Saturday, September 3, 2011

Flower Study #27- Rose Topiary

Flower Study # 27
Rose Topiary
9 x 12 Oil Painting on Panel
by Pat Fiorello


If you have been following my blog, you may recall that I am taking a program to learn floral design. It's partly for fun and partly to help get ideas for more intricate and interesting floral arrangements that I can set up for my floral and still life painting subjects rather than just pick up a pre-made bouquet at the grocery store and work with that.

This week I did a rose topiary in class, shown below. It was a lot of fun and I find that I can use much of my art design knowledge in floral design- its just a different (3D) medium. There are some differences, like sometimes in floral arranging if you are doing a centerpiece for a table, you want it to be symmetrically balanced, so it looks even from all viewpoints but in painting, I rarely go for symmetry- in fact it's something I tell myself to avoid so that my compositions can be more dynamic with an uneven division of space
.



After I took my arrangement home, I set it up in my studio in front of a white board and side lit it to paint from while the flowers were still fresh. I was working on a small panel to do a quick study so had to compromise on some of the height which I regret, but overall was happy to get the feel of the rose topiary in a suggestive way without having to report every last petal.


2 comments:

  1. Love it! Have been enjoying all your posts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Sabina!- I left a comment on your blog- under the apple blossoms painting

    ReplyDelete