Pat Fiorello - Art Elevates Life

Art & Inspiration from professional artist and instructor Pat Fiorello. Pat is known for her romantic landscape, garden and floral paintings in oil and watercolor. Her paintings often depict beautiful places like Italy and France. Pat teaches painting workshops in the U.S., Caribbean and Europe. She is passionate about inspiring others to include art in their life. Whether creating it or simply appreciating and enjoying it, there are so many ways that art elevates life!

Friday, November 2, 2012

Inspired by Italy- Pienza Garden

Pienza Garden
12 x 12 Oil Painting
by Pat Fiorello
$500


I've just begun a new series of paintings from my most recent trip to Italy When I returned last week, I loaded the 1100+ photo's I took on to my computer  culled thru to get down to the top 85 or so and form there printed out about 15 that I could not wait to paint.   Those are typically the images that grab me emotionally and also have good design potential in terms of light and shadow patterns. I put those photo's in a binder and then each day that I  am ready to paint  it's like going into a box of chocolates. I know I love them all, but which one will I choose today?

I find this prescreening process helps me to have ready reference material for inspiration  yet gives me some freedom to choose what I am in the mood  and excited to take on any particular day.


Pienza Garden is  first one I chose to do. Pienza was a new town I visited and I fell in love with it. Up till then I had taken 500 photo's on my trip and that afternoon I took 300 just in Pienza. It exudes classic Italian charm.  A pretty  little town with lots of great architecture, great views and I even found a little hidden garden. The sunlight was great which always helps me find interesting compositions. The photo I took of this particular area had started out as a rectangle( original photos is below) but I wanted to see how it would look as a square format.

I was pretty happy with the first in this series. At least for me,  it did capture the feeling of joy that I had standing in that sunny garden spot.

Original photo
Value sketch

Initial block -in


No comments:

Post a Comment