Pat Fiorello - Art Elevates Life

Art & Inspiration from professional artist and instructor Pat Fiorello. Pat is known for her romantic landscape, garden and floral paintings in oil and watercolor. Her paintings often depict beautiful places like Italy and France. Pat teaches painting workshops in the U.S., Caribbean and Europe. She is passionate about inspiring others to include art in their life. Whether creating it or simply appreciating and enjoying it, there are so many ways that art elevates life!

Thursday, February 6, 2014

Rhapsody in White

Rhapsody in White
24 x 24 Oil Painting
by Pat Fiorello

If you have been following my blog, you might remember the studies I did over the last couple of weeks on lilies comparing what these white flowers look like under warm vs. cool lighting conditions. You also might remember my first post of the year which was a small 8x8 study called New Year's Lilies, inspired by a beautiful arrangement in a Charleston hotel where I stayed on New Year's day.

With that preparation under my belt, I was ready to create a much larger version of that arrangement, which I'm calling Rhapsody in White. I love the combination of different types of white flowers with greenery. It has a fresh, elegant feel to it.

When I started the painting, I intended just to take my study and scale it up to a larger version. But painting can be interactive. You are in a dance with where the painting wants to go and sometimes it pays to listen to your partner!  Sometimes you just have to respond to where the painting is going and it may take you in another direction. That was the case here. Instead of the blue and white pot I went with this red-violet container and a softer pale green background rather than the neutral grey of the study, which is pictured again below along with the photo of the original inspiration.



New Year's Lilies
 8 x 8 Oil Painting
 by Pat Fiorello

My reference photo for both paintings.
.

1 comment:

  1. I like both of these a lot as you are such an excellent flower painter. I love the vase in the first one the most; very partial to it and have similar pieces in my home.

    ReplyDelete