Pat Fiorello - Art Elevates Life

Art & Inspiration from professional artist and instructor Pat Fiorello. Pat is known for her romantic landscape, garden and floral paintings in oil and watercolor. Her paintings often depict beautiful places like Italy and France. Pat teaches painting workshops in the U.S., Caribbean and Europe. She is passionate about inspiring others to include art in their life. Whether creating it or simply appreciating and enjoying it, there are so many ways that art elevates life!

Sunday, August 14, 2016

Backyard Bliss

Backyard Bliss
16 x 20 Oil Painting
by Pat Fiorello

It's been a long summer. I counted since May 1, I have been away for about 10 weeks. Some of it was  planned and for fun - like teaching a painting workshop in Spain, my brother's wedding, a family reunion for my husband's family in Chicago and a visit to see our 10 month old grandson and his parents in Dallas.  A few of the other trips were unexpected and no so happy- my mom was hospitalized on 2 different occasions and she ultimately passed away on July 10 and my uncle passed away in June, so spent a few tough weeks in NY/NJ/Conn.

I feel like I've experienced the full gamut of emotions this summer, the highs and lows, between babies, weddings and funerals.   Throughout these ups and downs, I have gotten in some painting when I could, including 4 commissions that were due this month, but I've really felt out of my normal painting rhythm, so glad to be home now for at least a few days to get back into it.

I bought some hydrangeas and decided to paint them outdoors in my backyard in front of another type of hydrangea bush. Yesterday I started out with a smaller canvas (12 x 16) and painted "Hydrangeas in the Sun" (below). I started out small since I wanted to warm up after a considerable painting hiatus and also since it was pretty hot on an Atlanta summer day so I didn't want to be out there too long with a large canvas.  While I was satisfied with this painting, I realized that it really wasn't what I originally intended, which was to get the full scene. So last night I came up with a new composition and pulled out a larger canvas. That was the inspiration for today's painting  "Backyard Bliss", 16 x 20.

I've taken an on-line course with artist Dennis Perrin who stresses the importance of having a clear painting intention and letting that drive your decision making and painting experience. I can see from these past few days how truly important that is.

The oil paints and brushes are put away for a few days now as I leave to teach a watercolor workshop in North Carolina, but I'll be back soon sharing some more painting and lessons along the way.


Hydrangeas in the Sun (final)
12 x 16 oil painting
by Pat Fiorello
Reference photo of the set up


Plan for composition, value sketch


Toned canvas

preliminary drawing

Paint mixtures across different values

Initial block in darkest value

Blocking in adding mid tones

Final painting photographed outside

No comments:

Post a Comment