Pat Fiorello - Art Elevates Life

Art & Inspiration from professional artist and instructor Pat Fiorello. Pat is known for her romantic landscape, garden and floral paintings in oil and watercolor. Her paintings often depict beautiful places like Italy and France. Pat teaches painting workshops in the U.S., Caribbean and Europe. She is passionate about inspiring others to include art in their life. Whether creating it or simply appreciating and enjoying it, there are so many ways that art elevates life!

Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Color and Light




Donna's Garden
Watercolor by Pat Fiorello
Sold

This painting is one of a pair of paintings I recently did for a commission of a garden of hydrangeas around a sunlit urn. I find I prefer painting scenes with lots of sun because I like the dramatic shadows that the sun creates.
This summer I've been doing a lot of study and reading on color and light. I came across an excellent book by artist James Gurney that just happened to be titled "Color and Light".  It's available on Amazon for about $16 and is well worth it. I'm only about 1/2 way thru it, but I'd have to say it's one of the more comprehensive and clear books on the subject that I have come across. It's easy to understand in terms of both words and visuals to help demonstrate concepts of how and why light and color work the way they do.
I'd recommend it for any artist who wants to paint realistically.


Thank you James for sharing your learning and years of experience to help other artist to grow!

No comments:

Post a Comment