Pat Fiorello - Art Elevates Life

Art & Inspiration from professional artist and instructor Pat Fiorello. Pat is known for her romantic landscape, garden and floral paintings in oil and watercolor. Her paintings often depict beautiful places like Italy and France. Pat teaches painting workshops in the U.S., Caribbean and Europe. She is passionate about inspiring others to include art in their life. Whether creating it or simply appreciating and enjoying it, there are so many ways that art elevates life!

Saturday, March 3, 2018

Camellia Celebration



Camellia Celebration
8 x 10 Oil Painting
 by Pat Fiorello
$300

 

Last year we planted some new camellia bushes and this year we are reaping the rewards. They have been blossoming like crazy the past couple of weeks here in Atlanta. I took a photo of one grouping on the bush the other day and decided to use it as inspiration for a painting.  I let go of the need to paint the fence as it was and just simplified the scene to a light background.


Here's how I got started just blocking in the general shapes and placement with transparent dark colors.  In the beginning, I aim for darker than I will ultimately end up with so that as I add lighter and lighter shapes they have contrast to sit upon. I use what might be helpful from the photo reference or set up if I have fresh flowers in front of me. but don't feel compelled to use it all- just what will work for my composition.



Then next I begin adding more color and start getting more specific with shapes starting from my darkest value shapes and moving lighter as I progress.  I don't necessarily have only one approach, but this is one way I often proceed. 
If you'd like to learn how to paint flowers in this easy, fun and freeing approach, join me for an upcoming workshop or a private lesson.

My next workshop is at the Booth Museum Art Academy, in Cartersville, GA May 4, 5 & 6. 
Click here for details or to register




Here's the original photo form my garden.


No comments:

Post a Comment