Pat Fiorello - Art Elevates Life

Art & Inspiration from professional artist and instructor Pat Fiorello. Pat is known for her romantic landscape, garden and floral paintings in oil and watercolor. Her paintings often depict beautiful places like Italy and France. Pat teaches painting workshops in the U.S., Caribbean and Europe. She is passionate about inspiring others to include art in their life. Whether creating it or simply appreciating and enjoying it, there are so many ways that art elevates life!

Wednesday, March 28, 2018

Rose Trio




Rose Trio
8 x 10 Oil Painting
by Pat Fiorello
 $300

 


A past watercolor student of mine is transitioning to oil and asked to have a private painting lesson. She wanted to see how I worked in my studio, what materials I used, and how I approached the painting process. So we set up a 2 hour session where she came to my studio and watched me at work and asked questions along the way.
I demonstrated one of the various methods I use which I consider the free-est, loosest of all the approaches and I find it particularly useful for floral, garden type subject.

I lay in masses for where the flowers will generally go. No specific line drawings, just the overall shape in the darkest value  I see using transparent colors only. Then I add in the background. Once the whole canvas( or in this case gessoboard) is covered, then I begin adding the lighter shapes on top with more opaque paints, working back and forth, re-establishing dark accents if I lose them. At some point ( the last photo)  I scraped off the whole background as I felt it was getting to be too much of the same everywhere.  Ultimately, I wanted the flowers which are the main attraction to be more defined and the background to be more abstract and softer edged. The end result, Rose Trio is pictured above.






No comments:

Post a Comment