Here's the still life set up I worked on yesterday.
I find yellow flowers to be the most challenging since it's hard to get the darks dark enough when working in the yellow family.
Using the approach our instructor Hedi Moran is sharing with us (which is quite different from the other methods I've been exposed to before), I blocked in the overall shape of the bouquet starting with the transparent paints.
Next we add in the background, again in with transparent paint only. At this point everything starts to merge together. Hedi says it should look like we are looking at the set up with glasses with Vaseline on them- everything should be soft & fuzzy. From this transparent underpainting, we next begin to add more opaque paints, adding thicker paints, and pulling the painting out.
Here's where I got to by the end of the day.
More fun tomorrow...